Toshiba VRF Air Conditioners - Variable Refrigerant Flow (VRF)
Growing end user demand for air conditioning systems that are reliable, flexible, easy to install and yet superior in terms of comfort and control, makes VRF systems the ideal candidate for many applications such as offices, hotels, theatres, shops and hospitals.
VRF systems are ideal for variable load applications, as their design is based on inverter technology. This adapts the speed of the variable-speed compressor to the varying thermal loads in a building. The Pulse Modulating Valve (PMV) in each unit controls the exact amount of refrigerant to be injected into each indoor unit.
In addition, two temperature sensors and a pressure sensor permanently control the amount of superheat, ensuring a safe operation. The pressure sensor also helps to balance the refrigerant flow. With VRF outdoor units, indoor units, Y-joints, headers and controls are all part of a single package.
- Outdoor unit has a small footprint
- High piping network design flexibility - Y-joints and headers can be interconnected in any sequence
- Only 20 mm separation needed between two adjacent outdoor units
- Outdoor unit fitted with a heat exchanger drain pan
- Up to 135% overload
2-pipe or 3-pipe?
Toshiba offers a choice of two systems: 2-pipe system (SMMS) with up to 48 indoor units (heat pump or cooling only) or 3-pipe system (SHRM) with up to 48 indoor units (heat recovery - simultaneous cooling and heating).
Piping layout flexibility
- Up to 150 m between outdoor and indoor units
- 30 m height difference between indoor units (SHRM), and 50 m between outdoor and indoor units
- 5 m maximum lift between outdoor units and 25 m total separation between them
- 300 m total system piping network, and up to 85 m between outdoor unit and first Y-joint/header (SMMS & SHRM)
New efficient outdoor unit design
- Reduced footprint (fits into lifts)
- Four-sided heat exchanger
- Integrated electrical isolator
- Active Oil Management System
- Parallel-twin pulse PMVs
- Large diameter propeller fan (flash wing fan) design for reduced sound levels
Comfort and Safety
- The temperature is maintained within 0.5 K for optimum comfort
- Quiet operation
- Direct refrigerant to air heat exchange for rapid and efficient temperature control
- Wide range of indoor units
- Precise capacity control through the combined use of PMVs, temperature and pressure sensors in each indoor unit This prevents a refrigerant circuit imbalance
Control and BMS (Interactive Intelligence)
The advanced Toshiba Building Management System (BMS), a user-friendly software with a Windows based platform, permits management of up to 1024 units with the possibility to control the entire system through a Local Area Network (LAN) or remote monitoring via the Internet.
Interactive control alerts the user or the service engineer about system failures through e-mail messages, alphanumeric beepers and fax.
Energy monitoring to meter the system’s power consumption per individual indoor unit is also possible.
Application Software - Toshiba’s latest selection program innovation
The application software helps consultants and contractors design their VRF application in a very user-friendly environment. This software enables the user to build a complete VRF system by simply clicking and dragging icons, representing indoor components such as Y-joints/headers and indoor units.
The program also includes the following features:
- Graphical representation of piping layout including pipe sizing
- Tabulated results including full component listings, actual cooling (total and sensible) and heating capacities, piping summary, refrigerant charge and pricing
- Multiple systems in a single project
- Export function to transfer output using standard Microsoft Word format
The application software - a revolution in VRF design!
VRF system selection is now only a few mouse clicks away, and so much easier, as it makes the use of complicated charts and capacity tables unnecessary.
Furthermore, it is possible to define all relevant design conditions such as indoor and outdoor temperature, fan speed, pipe length and diversity factor. The combination of all these elements is essential to precisely calculate the true capacities in real conditions. Toshiba is the only manufacturer to offer such accuracy in terms of VRF system selection software.
With the application software you can be sure of the validity of your design in actual conditions. The software also checks for mistakes and alerts the user when he is outside the system limits.
- Click Here to download information on Application Software
- Click Here to download information on VRF
80A High Street,
Alton, Hampshire, GU34 1EN
Tel: 01420 544224
Fax: 01420 549966
Delph, Oldham, OL3 5DF
Tel: 01457 820 088
Fax: 01457 875 100